domingo, setembro 03, 2006

[75 / A Lição]

Hi Alanis. I know this is my second entry, but I really want you to take a look at this picture.
I found it a few years ago in my Psychology book and I fell in love with it.The picture was taken by an artist called Ana Esquível. The title of the picture is "A Lição" (The Lesson).
I think this picture portrays in an excellent way the whole process of socialization or the introduction to this unchosen heritage: culture.
The girl seems to be such a rebel and fresh human being. The old man is the one who possesses the popular wisdom and he is teaching a part of it to the girl. Therefore, the girl's rebelness is being silently tamed. A slow and effective brainwash that will have positive and negative consequences: the girl will be given the chance to fit in her culture, but at the same time her thoughts will also be "contaminated" by ethnocentrism.

João Gil Martins
Portugal

Sem comentários: